Monday, August 22, 2011

Itsy Bitsy Spider

While I was in my room getting ready for bed, I saw something out of the corner of my eye scurry past on the wall. Being used to seeing geckos and cockroaches running past me on a daily basis, I casually looked to see who was coming out to say hi this time, when low and behold I found myself facing death itself! I could suddenly hear my heart pounding in my chest and following my automatic instinct, I ran out of my room all while screaming "Oh. My. Gosh!!" After taking a couple of calming deep breaths, I slowly turned around and tiptoed back in my room, confirming what I had seen...Yep, I found myself face to face with a huntsman spider. This dark brown creature native to the Philippines, was at least the size of my right hand; gigantic and hairy. After some research I found out that they can have a leg-span of up to 10in.!) Basically, it's not something one would like to have staring down at them in their bedroom. At that moment I desperately wanted my dad there to protect me from this spider that I was sure had crawled right out of that arachnophobia horror movie. Now, I was faced with a decision. To kill, or not to kill, me or the spider. I stood there cringing, while a million thoughts were running through my head. How in the world would I even kill this monster, let alone conjure up enough bravery to? Its not like I could just take a shoe to it, the Huntsman's are known for their speed and are able to jump. They have good eyesight with eight beady black eyes and very large/long fangs. Even though they are pretty harmless to humans, if bit, it means a trip to the ER, localised pain and swelling, nausea, vomiting, fever, and headache.(can you tell I have been doing some research hehe.) I probably stood there for a good half hour or longer debating with myself about killing this spider. I had found 2 large shoes, a bucket, and a broom, while I was trying to decide what my weapon of choice should be, I am sure anyone watching me would be peeing their pants from laughter. One moment I would stand there saying to my self, “I think I can, I think I can” and the next, I would be running out saying“ there is no way I can do this!” It was about 10 at night and I was alone; there was no one else around who I could get to help me with this spider situation. Call me a wuss, but in the end I just couldn’t do it, I couldn’t kill it and there was no way I was going to get close enough to the thing to capture it. I decided to shut the door to my bedroom, and sleep out on the prenatal bed waiting till morning where hopefully I could bring in some reinforcements. Well, after getting little sleep and waking up this morning, the spider was gone. What was I expecting? I guess my now pet spider didn’t get the memo to stay there all night and wait patiently to be killed. Now, I have to live with the reality that this thing is somewhere loose in my room. I have a feeling I won’t be getting much sleep in the next few days to come. The local Filipina’s tell me that the huntman spider makes for a good house pet, because it eats the cockroaches, geckos, and pesty insects. But I am sorry, I would rather live with the roaches than this spider... Shall I name him Itsy? 


My now pet spider, Itsy



Here is a way better pic of the Huntsman spider, this is taken by 
someone who was willing to get close to it obviously, I was standing at least 10 ft away
zooming in with my camera when I took my pic...


No comments:

Post a Comment